2011 Season Match Reports

Lavant vs Old Hambledonians, 3rd September

For the second week running Lavant just failed to close out a game that they had dominated. Put in to bat Lavant found runs hard to come by against accurate bowling from Saunders and Restell, who claimed a wicket a piece for only 35 runs off their combined 19 overs, including the prized wicket of Brooker for a duck. However, once they tired, stand-in opener Stevens and Dave Banks put on 112 for the third wicket at almost a run-a-ball. Banks finally went, bowled by Swift, for 63, but Stevens carried his bat for 76 not out as Lavant declared at tea on 180 for 5.

Rawnsley, anxious to finish the game off so he could get away on holiday, bowled a sustained aggressive spell to rip the heart out of Hambledonians reply, taking 4 for 36 from 13 overs. Middleton (21) threatened briefly, but when Carroll weighed in with two wickets to leave Hambledonians on 77 for 7 with 16 overs remaining Lavant looked favourites. However, Boorah mixed controlled aggression with resolute defence and marshalled the tail to finish on 44 not out as Hambledonians closed on 128 for 8.

Lavant vs Lynchmere, 27th August

Stevens bowled 20 overs straight through the entire innings and took a career best of 8-45 but Lynchmere managed to hold out for a draw. Skipper Wignall lost the toss as usual and Lynchmere asked Lavant to bat on a drying green strip with a slow damp outfield. Lavant lost the usual early wicket but Burford and Wignall held the innings together until Wignall was out trying to hook a ball that didn’t bounce and fell LBW. Burford and Banks continued to score freely when Banks was hit on the back of the head by a fierce drive from Burford. There was a thirty minute delay while the ambulance was called and Banks was dispatched to hospital. Gibbons played as a substitute for Banks and the game continued in a subdued fashion and Lavant declared on 176 at tea. With Banks departure Lavant had only three bowlers and Stevens stepped up and proceeded to destroy Lynchmere’s batting with a superb display of swing bowling. Sabatini took the other wicket but despite from some lusty blows from Spencer and Moore, Lynchmere batted out for a draw and their innings closed on 109-9. Banks returned later in the afternoon after being discharged from hospital but took no further part in the match.

Lavant vs Langstone, 20th August

Langstone won the toss and invited Lavant to bat on a very green strip. Tight bowling particularly from Barnard restricted the scoring rate. However, after the fall of the first wicket, Brooker, 77, unleashed a series of fine strokes and pushed the score along. There was a mini collapse in Lavant’s middle order until Nichols, *12, and Portsmouth, 21, set about the bowling allowing Lavant to declare on 177 at tea. Langstone made a steady start with Grant riding his luck, hitting the ball to all parts of the ground, supported by Langstone’s other batsmen and they were up with the run rate until he was bowled by Stevens. Burns tried to keep the run rate going but ran out of partners and when Barnard joined him at the crease Langstone realised they couldn’t get the runs and tried to bat out for a draw. Rawnsley had other ideas and returned after his opening spell and cleaned up the tail taking the last three wickets with Langstone all out for 143 giving Lavant their sixth win of the season.

Lavant vs Twelfth Men, 14th August

The old cricket adage that catches win matches was never truer than during the game between Lavant and 12th Men. Against the run of his luck this season skipper Wignall won the toss and invited 12th men to bat first. Lavant’s bowling performance was probably the best so far this season with hostile opening spells from Rawnsley and Stevens strangling the run rate and wickets quickly fell with Banks’ usual miserly spell picking up his first five wicket haul of the season. Ashworth, the opening bat from 12th Men, withstood the onslaught and accumulated runs. He was dropped twice from consecutive deliveries by the same fielder before he’d scored more than 30 and he went on to carry his bat for 77 very valuable runs. What could have been a total of less than 100 for 12th Men was boosted to 147 for 8. Lavant, in reply, made a very poor start with the first two wickets falling cheaply. The Burford brothers and Banks rebuilt the innings but it was left to Rawnsley and Stevens to accelerate the run rate. Stevens played the best innings of his season, dispatching the ball to all parts of the ground for 37 very quick runs and he very nearly reached the 12th Men total finishing five runs short at the end and the game was drawn. This left Lavant rueing if only, if only, if only those catches had been held it could have been a different result altogether.

Lavant vs Henfield, 6th August

This was the inaugural fixture between Lavant and Henfield 3rd who stepped in at the last minute to fill a cancelled fixture against Lavant. Henfield’s 3rd eleven included two of their first team players and one second team player. As it is becoming a tradition this season, Lavant’s skipper Wignall lost the toss and Henfield chose to bat first on a drying pitch. Lavant took three early wickets but this brought Henfield’s skipper Howick to the crease and together with Mundy they started to score freely until Mundy was caught at fine leg from Brooker. The run rate slowed and two more wickets fell and the Henfield’s innings closed on 202 with Hopgood hitting the ball to all parts of the ground for a quick fire 37 not out. Banks was the pick of the Lavant bowlers with 3 wickets for 60 runs. Lavant’s reply got off to a good start with the Burford brothers adding over 50 runs for the first wicket. Once they fell, Elphick and Brooker established another good partnership adding over 100 runs so that with 10 overs left Lavant needed 50 runs to win or Henfield needed another 8 wickets. Elphick was bowled by a ball that didn’t bounce and shot along the ground as the initiative swung to Henfield. Brooker continued the run chase but Lavant’s lower order batsmen couldn’t support him and Lavant’s innings ended on 200 for 7 and the match was drawn. However, over 400 runs were scored in the afternoon making an enjoyable game for both sides and a prelude to further fixtures next year.

Lavant vs Boxgrove, 30th July

Lavant lost against Boxgrove for the second time this season, this time by 7 wickets. Lavant lost the toss again and were asked to bat by Boxgrove. Lavant reached 80 for 2 with an aggressive 31 from Elphick, then the wheels fell off Lavant’s innings as the next 8 wickets fell very quickly for 38 runs with only Banks and Portsmouth reaching double figures and four batsmen not bothering to trouble the scorers. Boxgrove again made batting look easy and despite aggressive bowling from Rawnsley and Stevens, Lavant’s fielding was poor as all the catches were dropped and runs given away. Boxgrove easily scored the runs, with Chamberlain carrying his bat and top scoring with 33 to make it a Boxgrove whitewash against Lavant this year.

Lavant vs Tillington, 24th July

Lavant’s skipper Wignall lost the toss again and Tillington had no hesitation in asking Lavant to bat first on a green strip with a hint of moisture and clouds swirling around overhead. Lavant made another good start, the second in two weeks, with the opening pair of Burford and Dale putting on over 70 runs for the first wicket. Both fell as they accelerated the run rate. This brought Lavant’s middle order to the crease and with some lusty blows from Elphick and Banks, who scored 55 at a very fast rate, Lavant were able to declare at tea on 186. Davies and Stevens opened the attack against Tillington and while Stevens held one end tight, Davies beguiled the Tillington top order and the first four wickets fell cheaply thanks to some good catches in the field. Stevens picked up the fifth wicket and at this point Tillington gave up all attempts to chase down Lavant’s total. Skipper Wignall tried all sorts of variations to break Tillington’s sixth wicket partnership but all to no avail and Tillington batted out the last twenty five overs for a draw.

Lavant vs Droxford, 17th July

Thunder and lightning were rumbling around the ground as Lavant and Droxford tossed up at the start of their annual fixture, this year played at Lavant. Lavant batted first and for the first time in several weeks Lavant’s opening pair made a slow but secure start to the innings. Both openers fell as they tried to accelerate the scoring rate but this brought Burford and Howick to the crease who set about the Droxford bowling with glee, dispatching the ball to all parts of the ground. Both batsmen rode their luck but it was obviously going to be Lavant’s day as catches were either not attempted by Droxford or put down in the outfield. Howick went on to score a personal unbeaten best of 78, Burford holed out at deep mid wicket for 41 which brought Brooker to the crease who showed his intent from the first ball and produced the shot of the match with a towering six over long off. Lavant declared at tea on 203 for 3. Droxford made a bright start and they put on over 40 before the change of bowling immediately gave Lavant their first rewards with two Droxford wickets falling in Bank’s first over which could have been three wickets in the over if a difficult steepling one handed catch had been held at point. A sharp stumping by Dale saw the end of Droxford’s third wicket. No other Droxford batsmen really looked secure and despite some dropped catches by Lavant the last six Droxford wickets fell for ten runs with Hall claiming all the tail end wickets. Droxford were all out for 85 which gave Lavant one of their best wins of the season so far by over 100 runs.

Lavant vs Salthill, 3rd July

Lavant tried to chase down a big total at Salthill, but ran out of steam in mid-innings to fall well short. Lavant elected to bowl in this 40-over contest, but failed to get the early breakthrough as Richardson (37) and Almack (20) added 60 for the first wicket from 15 overs. Thereafter Salthill upped the rate to a run a ball, but lost wickets steadily to reach 134 for 6 after 27 overs. Shrub (42) and Summers (29 not out) then came together to regain the initiative by adding 64, before Shrub was run out by direct-hit specialist Dave Burford, the innings closing on 203 for 9. Carroll picked up 4 of the top 5 wickets, but leaked runs.

Lavant began positively and bettered the asking rate for the first 25 overs but, like Salthill, lost regular wickets with Elphick (31) and Banks (34) unable to go on from good starts. Salthill then squeezed the lower middle order and Lavant’s chase fell away to 168 all out in the last over. Salthill’s bowlers shared the wickets with Rustle (3 for 30) getting the key men.

Lavant vs Westover (IOW), 19th June

Lavant sailed close to the wind to claim a 13 run win on their trip to Westover on the Isle of Wight in a game involving 6 members of the Burford family. Asked to bat on a damp, slow track, Lavant found run scoring difficult against some tidy bowling from Whittington and Baxendale, the first 20 overs yielding just 41 runs for the loss of both openers. However, Brooker used the occasion to play himself into form and, with good support from Dave Burford (24) and Stevens (26 not out) got the score up to 151 for 4 at tea, finishing on 69 not out. Westover skipper Cox took 2-33.

Westover set about the chase in positive fashion and were always ahead of the run-rate. However, although Rann (26), Bridges (24) and Baxendale (20) all got starts they were unable to play the decisive innings. Most wickets featured a Burford, including Dave running out nephew James with a direct hit. Skipper Cox, batting at 10, made a valiant effort to win the game, but was left stranded on 37 not out. Mike Burford was the pick of the Lavant bowlers with 4 -37.

Lavant vs Boxgrove, 4th June

Lavant suffered their first defeat of the season and their worst performance for many years against Boxgrove. It wasn’t Lavant’s day with the variable bounce of the Lavant strip causing problems to their batsmen. Wignall was the first to go with the ball clipping his shoulder, helmet and falling on to the off bail. Burford soon followed with a ball that climbed on him which was fended into the safe hands of Boxgrove’s gully fielder. Elphick restored the innings with support from the Banks family, however, wickets continued to tumble and despite a late rally from Portsmouth, Lavant were all out for 70. When Boxgrove batted it was a different game and batting looked easy. Despite losing three wickets, Boxgrove easily scored the runs required. Chamberlain finishing on 37 not out, hit the winning runs to seal a comprehensive defeat for Lavant.

Lavant vs Rogate, 29th May

On a cold and blustery day Rogate won the toss and invited Lavant to bat. Lavant scored their best opening partnership of the season, making 97 for the first wicket. Wignall went on to score a well deserved 56. There was a slight stutter from Lavant as two wickets fell cheaply but the scoring pace soon picked up again which enabled Wignall to declare the Lavant innings twenty minutes before tea at 184 for 5. Rogate’s reply started briskly, despite devouring mountains of home made chocolate and ginger cake, until Davis bowled the two opening batsmen, returning figures of 2 for 11 from 7 overs. Rawnsley joined in and bowled the next two Rogate batsmen. For the first time this season Burford was invited to bowl and immediately broke the Rogate partnership with his second delivery and with good catching from the Lavant fielders Banks took the remaining three wickets to leave Rogate all out for 68 and another victory for Lavant this season.

Lavant vs Ferring, 22nd May

An heroic 5-71 from 20 overs by Lavant’s Mark Stevens was not quite enough to secure a win against Ferring in a fluctuating match. Lavant began slowly, having been asked to bat, and Sealby was soon amongst the wickets taking the first 3 for just 29. At the other end Patterson bowled 11 overs for 23 and Lavant were struggling at 44-3 from 20 overs. A typically obdurate knock from opener Peter Burford (37) provided a base and the in-form Banks added 91 with him and then his brother David Burford (22), and was finally eighth out for 60. Lavant reached tea at 165-8 with Burgess claiming 3-27.

Lavant, with only 3 regular bowlers, failed to make the early breakthrough and Ferring reached 50 without loss. Then Stevens removed both Miller (24) and Greenway (28), tore into the middle order and claimed a run-out to leave Ferring on 84-5 with 15 overs to go. Sealby and Patterson rallied but, when Stevens sharply caught and bowled Sealby for 27 and his fifth wicket, Ferring were obliged to bat out the draw at 137-7.

Lavant vs Hawkley, 15th May

Lavant’s all-rounder of the 2010 season, Dave Banks, lived up to his billing with 3 for 54 and 46 runs, as the visitors shaded a tight finish at picturesque Hawkley. It was no surprise when Hawkley skipper, Madely, elected to bat on an excellent wicket but, perhaps seduced by the track, Hawkley’s batsmen tried to play the big shots from the off. They slumped to 68 for 6 at the 20-over half-way mark as Rawnsley (2-43) and Nichols (1-28) joined Banks amongst the wickets. As the bowlers tired and Lavant’s occasional seamers came into play, Madely and Todd consolidated and then took the game to Lavant in a 115 run stand before Madely was eventually dismissed for 73 with Todd a belligerent 61 not out.

Chasing 189, Lavant built carefully with Wignall contributing a useful 31 before Elphick and Banks gave the innings impetus. When Elphick went for 39, 62 were needed off 12 overs and Banks and Rawnsley took Lavant to the brink. Banks’ dismissal led to a momentary stutter, but Rawnsley (25 n.o.) took charge to hit the winning boundary with 5 balls and 4 wickets left. Todd (3-62) and Hudson (1-30) were the pick of the bowlers.

Lavant vs Lynchmere, 30th April

Lavant’s first home game of the season was against Lynchmere. The square and the strip had been lovingly prepared by Lavant club members, the sun was shining and all was set for a good afternoon of cricket. Lavant batted first and lost their first wicket without troubling the scorers. Two more wickets fell cheaply until Elphick, Banks and Nicholls steadied the innings and slowly built the total. Cain was rested from the bowling attack and scoring became easier. Wickets fell, followed by two suicidal run outs and Lavant’s innings ended twenty minutes before tea on 130. Lynchmere, with only ten players, set about chasing the total, helped on their way by Lavant dropping several half chances, until Duckett was superbly caught in the covers by Burford. Holt was bowled next ball and the game changed in Lavant’s favour. Nicholls tied down one end with accurate bowling picking up five wickets for 17 runs and despite Lynchmere’s skipper trying to win the game himself he ran out of partners and Lynchmere were all out for 90 giving Lavant their first victory of the 2011 season.

Lavant vs Froxfield, 24th April

For Lavant’s opening game of the season they travelled to Froxfield and instead of the usual four sweater game in the bitter cold usually expected this early in the year, the ground was bathed in glorious sunshine. Froxfield won the toss and chose to bat. Froxfield set off their innings with aggressive intent, runs coming freely as boundaries were struck all over the ground. Lavant managed to take the first two wickets before the score reached thirty when one of the batsmen played on to Rawnsley and the other was caught behind by a diving catch off Stross. Thereafter the game changed and Froxfield were in control. A dropped catch at second slip didn’t help Lavant’s cause and although two further Froxfield wickets were taken, one bowled by Nicholls and a sharp left handed catch off Stevens, Froxfield amassed a huge total of 249 for 4 wickets at tea. Lavant’s reply got off to a poor start with none of the top three opening batsmen able to cope with neither the Froxfield pace from one end nor the spin from the other. Lavant were soon 11 for 3 with the runs drying up and fighting for survival. Burford and Nicholls gave some respectability to the score as Froxfield rested their opening bowlers until Burford was run out pushing for the third run. Nicholls and Dale batted out nearly 16 overs until both wickets fell within a few balls. With three overs left Froxfield needed four wickets to win the game which they very nearly achieved but Lavant managed to eke out a draw with one wicket to spare.

Scroll to top